Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Update re:Hugo

Hi All:

We have just come back from a delightful dinner with Hugo and her parents. She and her parents have decided that I am look too young to be her grandmother so she asked if she could call me "Mom". (Actually when she told her parents that she asked if she could call me "Grandma" her father said "I have met Shelley [he drove Hugo and me to the hospital for my acupuncture] and she looks much too young to be Hugo's grandmother")! I told her it was fine with me but she had better check with her mother because I didn't say it to her but I remember how territorial I felt about my position as "Mother" when Jeff and Robyn were small. Well, not only does her mother not object but she calls me Hugo's "American Mom"!!! And at dinner she had Hugo sit between me and Burt!! And, yes I love all the compliments about how young I look!!!!

So, kids, I guess you don't have a new niece but rather you have a new sister!!!!

Hugo's parents are as delightful as she is and within 5 minutes of meeting us we all hit it off so well that they decided that they would invite us to their home on Friday and teach us how to make dumplings which apparently Zhang Hui (Hugo's mother) hasn't made in years. So we are now going to experience our dream for our visit to China.......spending time with a Chinese family in their home.

Also, Zhang Hui and Yu Bin (Hugo's father) manufacture work clothes and they are interested in breaking in to the American market (they now sell in Europe and the middle east) and I realized as we were talking that Dave Kracov, who has done business with Chinese manufacturers, may be able to help them so we'll see....

It really is a small world!!!

2 comments:

Tee said...

So, how old is she? Am I still the 'baby'? Or can I give that 'honour' up?

Anonymous said...

you have to give that honor up. Hugo is 18 so I really am old enough to be her grandmother but apparently her mother has a brother who is only 6 years younger than me so they all insist I be her American Mom!