Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Heartwarming

As I was getting dressed this morning, I realized that I forgot to tell you all about the wonderful present I received from one of Burt's students.

"Rita" wrote Burt the following note:

"Dear Burt"

I'm so appreciated join in this class. I learnt a lot of knowledge as well as enjoyed the interesting games. It is awfully funny isn't it.

I had a nice time with you and other friends last week. Thank you very much for accepting me. By the way, I really feel your wife is a charming lady who has dreaming eyes. I like her very much. This flower rings give her as a present, this made by silk stocking. I think it's very special. Though it's very small but stand for my true heart. I hope she may like it.

You are really a good teacher as well as a good friend. You possess high sense of responsibility and common touch. It's my great honor to have such a good teacher.

Thanks again.

Yours truly,
Rita"

Needless to say I was very touched by the gift which is a lovely ring that I am now wearing every day.

Another one of Burt's students gave him a present after he made them all $1 rings. And he said "In China is reciprocity."

We're finding that the Chinese as a culture are very sweet, shy, and modest.

I've decided that Ihave the best deal of everyone here. I go to class when I want and I can go out and explore the community as much as I want. Many of the women teachers, in particular, are "complaining" that they didn't realize how much work this would be and they are exhausted.
So exhausted, in fact, that they are skipping the overnight trip to the Three Gorges this week-end which I think is a shame cuz most will probably never be back to China again and it is a famous sight. The main reason they are not going is cuz it is a 5 hour bus ride each way which I agree is a lot of time on a bus for a week-end but I'm looking at it as an opportunity to see the countryside.

Talk to you all later.

Cheers....Shelley

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great story. you'll never get rich teaching, but...