Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thursday Lunch

First, let me answer Mitch's questions. Most students will probably get to the US eventually. But, as almost all will begin their sophimore year in September, I doubt that they will be in a position to travel for many years. And by then, who knows who will remember anything or who will be where. Most of the students in the classes are scientific and technologically oriented, as the school is the Huazang university of Science and Technology. But there are English majors and business majors and other non-science or technology based programs as well. The course I have taught is called the HUST English Camp. It is elective and does cost the students. However, the grades go nowhere and do not count. In the beginning of the second week, the students got to evaluate the teachers. There clearly wasn't enough time to make an honest evaluation and the average grade out of a perfect 10 was about 9.5. My rating was slightly above average with about a 9.6. However, with such a narrow range of differentiation, I suspect that any difference is statistically insignificant. Nonetheless, I am pleased that I was in the top half. I do not know what the top score was or what the breakpoint was for the top quarter. I have the report and I will share it with you when I have it in front of me. In fact, the perfect score might have been a 5 and the average and my score might have been 4 point something.

This AM's 3 groups put on their Olympic TV shows. It was good fun but a bit short. I filled in the time by answering other questions. They asked about religion, sports and US Chinatowns.
This PM will be the same and then it is al over except for handing out the Diplomas we printed up. That plus a party and a thousand pictures, it is all over. It's time.

Love to all.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Wow - Time travels fast. It has been really fun reading about your adrventures and teaching experiences and a learning experience for us too. Thanks for sharing!! I know that you both are anxious to come back stateside and we in Michigan are looking forward to seeing you up here next month. Enjoy your last day in China and have a safe trip home. Love, Rick

Anonymous said...

it's a good thing you saved both religion and sports for the last day as i'm sure battle lines have been drawn. see you soon. have a safe trip. xxxooo