Monday, July 21, 2008

Mission Accomplished

As Burt told you, Harry and I took a cab after lunch to the Hubei Museum to buy a lacquer dish that we saw the first Sat. we were here but didn't buy. There was no traffic and we got to the museum in about 25 minutes. There was no entrance fee which I had forgotten. (I had planned to have Harry explain that we didn't want to visit the museum but to just go to the gift shop. With no admission fee, there was no need.)

I think that the plate that Burt and I saw 2 Sat. ago was gone because I did not like the only very large plate that was left. However, I did like a smaller one. The price on it was 1800 yuan and/but this is the only museum we have been in that will bargain. I offered 15oo yuan which they immediately accepted so I think I offered to much which annoyed me. However, I had to buy 2 smaller gifts for people and they also had just two of the wine bottle covers that I talked about in a previous post. The 3 items totalled 200 yuan. I offered them 100 yuan for them and told them I should get them very inexpensively because I had bought the expensive plate. They tried to deny the agreed to price of 1500 yuan for the plate even tho' they had already wrapped it!! The bottom line is that I got everything for 1,650 yuan instead of 2,000 yuan. Did I do well? Who knows. Or cares! We had decided that we wanted to leave Burt's "salary" which was paid in yuans in China instead of taking a big hit on the exchange rate and we have accomplished that and now have many lovely things.

Speaking of salary I may have mentioned this before so if I have, please forgive me. Burt keeps demeaning the 6,000 yuans they paid the teachers from TFF as if it is nothing. However, I found out this week-end that a Chinese English teacher on staff only gets 2,000 yuans per month and no housing!! So by Chinese standards the TFF teachers were very well paid for 3 weeks work. Plus the university paid for all our touring, hotel and meals on both week-ends.....SUCH A DEAL!!!

Like Burt, I'm getting anxious to get back to the States. This has been an incredible experience but it's time.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting that you mentioned that you had completed your shopping in the same blog you mentioned you were anxious to get home. you paced yourself perfectly. enjoy the short time left. xxxooo

Anonymous said...

Itѕ such aѕ you reaԁ my mind!
You aρpеaг to grаsp a lot approхimаtelу this, lіke you wгοte thе ebook in іt or ѕomethіng.

I believe that you juѕt сould ԁo with a few pеrcent to pressurе the
messagе house a bit, however other than that,
this is wonderful blog. Α grеat rеad. Ӏ wіll cеrtainlу be baсκ.


Also νіsit my blog poѕt; bucket Truck
Also visit my web-site altec bucket trucks

Anonymous said...

Quаlity articlеs or reviеws іs thе secгеt to attract the
useгs to paу a quіck νisіt the ѕitе,
thаt's what this site is providing.

my site :: using tens units for pain relief

Anonymous said...

You have made some rеally gooԁ pointѕ there.

I checked on the internet to find οut more about the isѕue аnd found moѕt ρeople ωill go
along wіth your νiews οn this website.

Feel free to surf to mу webpаge internet marketing Dfw