Sunday, July 13, 2008

Monday morning

Hi again all!

I just came back from a walk to the open air market. I discovered that the prices there are as inexpensive aa the little back streets I walked with Loretta on Thursday.

Things are so inexpensive that is really hard to stop buying. I decided that even tho' I brought an umbrella from Jax I wanted a "sun umbrella" which is made like our car sunscreens. Material on the outside and reflective "stuff" on the inside. Last night we stopped at a store about 100 feet from our hotel. They wanted 100 yuan (about $16) for a very fancy one and 60 yuan (about $9) for a plain one and they wouldn't negotiate. Today at the open market I bought a very pretty blue plain one for 20 yuan (about $2.50)!!!!

I've also bought bathing suits for my 6 youngest grandchildren for about $1.50 each. Just hope I guessed all the sizes! Haven't seen any small enough for Joey and sorry Ben, Deb, and Sam but I have no idea what size you are plus I don't think you'd wear the styles here!!!

After my shopping "spree" I went for another facial. I typically get my eyebrows waxed every two weeks and I wondered if they did it here. I haven't found anyplace that does but today during my facial, she took the smallest razor I have ever seen and gently shaved the excess growth. My eyebrows look terrific and I'm curious to see how they grow in?!

I'm giving up on manicures cux even tho' it was only $1.50 it wasn't very good. And/but since I'm basically being a "princess" while we're here my nails look terrific anyway.

Yesterday Burt and I bought a jar of peanut butter, a jar of jam, rolls, juice, cups and napkins and this afternoon I am going to class and we're going to make peanut butter an d jelly sandwiches for everyone and then we'll do the same thing in tomorrow morning's class. I also expect to sit in on Burt's partner's class this afternoon. They share 50 students and I'm curious to see how differently (if at all) they learn and respond in another class.

Also yesterday we bumped into Burt's partner's TA and she was with one of his students so we have a budding romance going on!!

I've decided that I'm actually having a better learning experience than any of the teachers because I'm going out on my own and all the time and making friends (such as where I get my facials) with the locals.

We've decided that we don't really want to bring any yuans back to the States because there is a big penalty for exchanging them for dollars so if we have a lot left next week I'm going to see if I can get back to the museum we visited this past Sat and ship home a fantastice enamel plate and stand. It was about $300 American and we hadn't yet thought through how hard it would be to spend the equivalent of $800 (which is Burt's stipend) or 6000 yuan so we actually me Burt would have bought it on the spot) decided not to buy it when we were there and now I regret it so we'll see......

I'll let you know if the peanut butter and jelly is a success or....... We got the idea because one of the students put on his "what do you want out of this experience" questionnaire that he wanted to experience peanut butter and jelly and sloppy joes!

Love to all....Shelley

2 comments:

Tee said...

Feel free to buy me all of the pretty glass plates and stands you'd like to! I'm always open to new pretties and that way you can spend your yuan!

I am so considerate!!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't find your Blog for a while but have finally located it. It's fun to follow your adventure. Stay well and continue to enjoy. It's hot here too.
Judy