Thursday, July 17, 2008

Teaching

So as Burt told you I am not sitting in on someone else's class instead I am having my very own teaching experience. One of the women is sick so I volunteered to take her afternoon class. I've been having a wonderful time.



First I told them about my red circles, then I had each of them tell me who they were, what they were studying and where they were from. Then I borrowed an idea from Burt. I broke them into 3 groups of 6 and asked them to come up with the 5 most important news items in China in 2008. After about 20 minute I had each group come to the front of the room and discuss their topics. One person from each group wrote their 5 items on the board and each one talked about one issue.



They came up with 15 different topics and before I knew it an hour and 3/4's had passed. Right now they are on break. After break I will have them sing their two favorite songs and then i'm going to have them break into groups again and have each group come up with 4 questions to ask me about America.

Friday morning:

Just realized I didn't complete this post yesterday. And I just tried to complete it and I lost everything I had typed so I'll try again!

The questions about America went really well. They asked things like "what was my happiest experience" what was my fondest childhood memory" "how much were salaries in America". This exercise took up the rest of the afternoon.

This morning I am being very leisurely and I'm going to wander over to Burt's class in a little while. This afternoon Burt's class is participating in a singing competition so I'll go back to class for that then I'm going to come back to the hotel to relax because Harry, Burt's TA is taking us to a local restaurant for dinner (we'll pay) and then to the mall where he and his friends hang out.

Tomorrow morning we leave for an overnight trip to the Three Gorges. We'll be back about 6:30 pm on Sunday.

Take good care all.....Shelley

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi:

Are you still polka dot?

Marion

Tee said...

How did it go? I'm dying to know over here!

Anonymous said...

Marion, yes I am still polka dot. One of the cups drew too much blood to the surface and I think it will probably not completely disappear for a week to 10 days so I may still have some "evidence" when I get back to CA.

Robyn, how did what go? The sing-off? If that's what you mean it was fun and we videotaped most of it so you can watch it when we see you